Saturday, June 26, 2010

Update

Well, I know it has been awhile. It is hard to get to typing about everything when your already telling several people by mouth as it is.

At my second appointment with Dr. Cassidy last week everything was fine. She checked the babies heart beats real fast and both were in the 160's again. I had also asked her about what the ultrasound tech had said previously and she stated that it is their job to do those screenings so probably just wanted to know if I would be seeing her the next week and give me some information. Then she said but there is still the false positives with twins and your young so I am at really low risk. So Adam and I decided against any testing at this time. I'm worried enough, I don't need false positives. She also checked my progesterone levels and they came back great. So therefore she took me off the progesterone pill. I thought this would help with my nausea and so forth but it almost seems to have gotten worse. Odd. She said she wouldn't need to see me for 4 weeks since during that time I would be evaluated by the high risk doctors.

So, I also saw the high risk doctor on Wednesday this week. They do stuff differently, they ultrasound the whole time and the doctor is in the room watching and talking. Its hard to watch the ultrasound though when your trying to talk to the doctor. She had to go over all the risk with me again. This was a bummer to here all over. She still gave the 50% chance of making it but reported that she has fortunately seen more successes than failures. It is just unfortunately out of their hands until they are viable. She said most of the deaths that she sees are before 20 weeks. She said this is due to the cords still being flimsy and therefore making them easier to bend and tangle because they are not as durable. She said they will continue to thinking as they age and eventually become durable kind of like a water hose. She said also since they get bigger their is less room for them to move around in and so less problems occur. She said she admits at 26 weeks to the hospital instead of 24 because if in the off chance I went into labor at 24 weeks a lot of neonatologist are less likely to save the babies do to long term problems and issues. She also said she wanted to see me at least once a week from now on. The babies heart rates were still in the 160's so maybe that is where they are going to level out at. They were also fighting. It was so funny they were just punching at each other in my stomach. It was hard to believe it was going on inside of me. On the down side I lost another 4 lbs. She also is charting me at 12 weeks so Im going to go with that. I puts me a few days further along. And I should agree with what she says because she will be basing my care off of my due date. So that makes me happy.

I'm glad to have gone to them especially since Dr. Cassidy only wanted to see me every 3-4 weeks. And now they want to see me every week now. I'm glad for that. The doctor was so good because she said please feel free to write down questions and bring them with you. Now that I left I have several.

I'm also struggling with possibly having to switch to Vanderbilt High Risk doctors. I was good and tried to call and set up a consultation and they said my high risk doctor had to refer me over. I think this is stupid if you are just wanting to meet with the doctor and here what they have to say. I mean it sounds silly to me to say to my brand new doctor, Can I have a referral somewhere else and I may possibly still come back to you if I don't like what they have to say?...That's lame. I'm at a loss. This is stressful.

Unfortunately, Ive been sick.. hense me still losing weight. Its getting pretty annoying especially the middle of the night sessions. My migraines have gotten horrid too. I think I will try to see my neurologist in the upcoming weeks.

In other news I had a nice outing with my mother in law and sister in law. It was nice to get out for a little bit. Thanks for everything!

Well, I see the doctor again on Friday so I will be in touch.
We still thank you for everyone praying for us, it means so much.
I love you my babies.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Yay! Glad the babies are doing okay! And ugh I feel your pain about being sick all the time. I hate morning sickness. I need to stop by sometime. I have your pack'n play!

6L's said...

i think your doc would totally understand about the hospital issues. just be up front and honest....there is no need to worry about that. :)

i am sorry you are feeling so bad...i can totally relate! it's normal to be losing weight so try not to stress about that either. trust me, you will gain it later! :)

praying this week is a better one for you! love, laura

The Borders said...

As far as I see the referral issue- yes, it is odd, but here is how you can explain it to the current high risk doctor without sounding silly, "My husband works at Vanderbilt and we have discovered that it will be much less expensive if I transfer my care to them. I really like you and your practice and would have a hard time leaving and am not completely comfortable with the idea of switching, but I would appreciate a referral so that I can look into that option." I don't think they would mind at all- it seems very reasonable and there would be no reason for them to be offended.

6L's said...

very well said, nicole. that's exactly what i meant. :)

aurora said...

So glad that you and the babies are doing so well! Sorry that you are still so sick. That is really hard. Have you tried ginger herb tea? or raspberry? It helped a bit for me.

Ditto what Nicole said about asking for the referral.

xo
Rory